Saturday, March 4, 2017

Abstract Art


So for this art project, I wanted the kids to try abstract art.  I gave a brief overview of what abstract art is and why it's important.  We then focused on Kandinsky's art.  The kids loved the idea of emulating the work of a famous artist so we looked at some examples of his work and got started.




Here's a couple of the examples of Kandinsky's work that we used as references.

The supplies we used are:

  • markers
  • crayons
  • colored pencils
  • cardstock paper
You could use regular printer paper but I didn't want the kids to have any holes in their work from using markers.

I decided to move the tables together and I put everything they needed in the middle of the tables.
The kids liked being able to work so closely with everyone and of course they loved collaborating across the table.  










I decided that with this project I would act as more of the facilitator than the teacher.  I kept the Kandinsky examples nearby, but I noticed that they enjoyed gaining inspiration more from each other more than Kandinsky.  They were so proud to share their work with each other and it was refreshing to hear them complimenting each other so freely.  They bounced ideas off of each other and remained enthusiastic.  
Watching them work helped me remember to always be inspired by your peers and encourage them as much as I can.


Here's the finished products.  Looking back at them, I'm so glad they didn't just copy Kandinsky's work exactly.  The students had fun being inspired and trying something different.  Each one had so much character and they experimented with different strokes, line weights, and color.  I am very proud of they work they did and the effort they put into it.  I think next time I'll allow them to use thinned out acrylic paint or watercolors as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment