Monday, January 2, 2017

Mark Making


One of the things I love about art is that sometimes the process is just as enjoyable (if not more) than the end results.  So I decided to teach my students about mark making. At first, they thought that we would be just painting with paint brushes but I encouraged them to use non-traditional tools.  We went outside and gathered leaves, grass, flowers, weeds, and rocks. Indoors we found plastic cutlery and tape to use as well.

I figured it would be fun to do all of our mark making on the floor so I taped some drawing paper onto the floor.  I didn't use butcher paper because of its thin quality.
I demonstrated to them how to dip their tool(s) into the paint and onto the paper.  Using thinned out paint or ink will make this easier for the kids.


They were eager to jump in and use their very own mark making devices, so I let them join in.  I let them lay down pieces of painter's tape so when they finished painting they could pull up the tape and see the cool effect it makes.

I really enjoyed seeing them collaborating and sharing the mark making devices they found.


It was amazing to see how calm the students became while working on mark making.  They really enjoyed the process of mark making and were so proud of the marks that they made.

Here's what their marks looked like:





No comments:

Post a Comment